Friday, January 29, 2010

Of All Things There Must be a Begining...

Basic Information

I decided recently, and I will not attribute it to a New Year's resolution because of the inevitable failure that often follows calling a life style change that, that I am going to change the way I eat. A few of the goals I hope the accomplish with this life style change is an overall wellness regime that includes eating healthy, drinking water (Yes, mother I plan to drink water!) , and getting back into the swing of cycling, (my ulimate goal is being able to complete a century.)

One of the complications I face are the fact that I take medications for various health conditions. One of which is very high in sodium and is a detirming factor when I purchase ingrediants or premade anything. My mother being the primary cook up until this point in our home, already doesn't use salt as crazy as that sounds so it will not be so difficult but it does take some consideration when grocery shopping. The other downside to my medications has been my gaining of weight within a very short time period due to the fact that it's one of the side effects of the medication. Something again that will be working against me but I strongly feel that this is something that I can overcome. I also can not drink coffee or anything else with strong amounts of caffeine due to the fact that it brings on intense migraines and insomnia no matter what time of day I drink it.

My family history consist of heart health issues, breast and ovarian cancer, and strong connections to diabetes of both my father and mother's side of the family. I will be avoiding a great deal of soy even though I believe that I lactose intolerant due to the risks of cancer and of course processed sugars.

The Plan
  • Limited intake of meats; I will be limiting myself to fish and foul.
  • Increase in the amount of fruits I consume. Believe it or not I strongly dislike fruit and enjoy veggies a whole lot more.
  • Find more complete meals to create at home, so that we do not eat as many prepared items.
  • Try to live by the 100 mile rule. If you don't know what that is; it's a green philosphy where everything you get can come from no further than 100 miles.
  • Drink the required amount of water per day, with an addition water bottle while exercising.
  • 30 minutes - 1 hour every other day until I am able on spin bike. I am lucky that this past December my mom purchased a great bike and neither of us have been using it as often as we should. It is definately time to put some miles on it!

Each day I will post here about my trials on my journey to wellness as well as share some recipes and ideas that I come across for those also interested in being more health concious. I am sure that not everything will be pretty, but hopefully some of it some of you will find entertaining.

Tommorow morning my mother and I are heading the grocery store, and to Appleton's Downtown farmer's market to get groceries. We also are stopping by the former Brewed Awakenings, now Aspen Tea to get a raw cookie that we hope to replicate. Information about what we pull together will be posted tommorow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment